|World Taekwondo Championships|
|Venue: Manchester Enviornment Date: 15-19 Could|
|Protection: Watch dwell on the BBC Crimson Button, Related TV, BBC Sport web site and cellular app.|
Double Olympic champion Jade Jones hopes to lastly full her set of main taekwondo titles by claiming World gold in Manchester this week.
Jones, who additionally has European, Youth Olympic and Grand Prix golds, has taken silver (2011) and bronze (2017) at earlier World Championships.
“It is the one which’s all the time obtained away and I need to put that proper,” the Welsh fighter instructed BBC Sport.
Jones is a part of a 15-strong GB group for the occasion starting on Wednesday.
The fighter, who’s aiming to develop into the primary athlete in historical past to win three successive Olympic taekwondo gold medals at Tokyo 2020, says she is undecided about whether or not she’s going to proceed past these Video games.
Nonetheless, Jones says success in Manchester may have an effect on her future.
“For me the Olympics is all the time the top, however earlier than I retire I need to have the ability to say I am not only a double Olympic champion, however a world champion,” she mentioned.
“Previously I’ve ‘bigged it up’ an excessive amount of and thought ‘I’ve by no means received it so it is necessary’, however with all of my family and friends there supporting I am hoping it may be this magical story and I can lastly get it in Manchester.”
In the meantime Bianca Walkden, who in 2015 grew to become solely the second Briton to assert a world taekwondo title after Sarah Stevenson, is now seeking to safe a British-record third straight world title.
“[In 2015] one thing clicked and after all the knee accidents and lacking the 2012 Olympics, I grew to become obsessive about successful,” she mentioned.
“It is not simple being the one with a goal in your again, however I can not wait to combat in entrance of a house crowd and I am hoping for a little bit of historical past there.”
Amongst these hoping to develop into Britain’s first male world taekwondo champion are Olympic silver medallist Lutalo Muhammad and Mahama Cho, who was a runner-up within the occasion two years in the past.
The pair will combat in separate divisions on the Worlds, however with the -87kg and +87kg classes mixed for the Olympics they are going to quickly be battling each other for a sole place at Tokyo 2020.
“This looks like the largest combat of my profession,” Muhammad mentioned. “The actual fact I’ve by no means managed to win any medal on the World Championships makes me really feel like this time, with it being at residence, it is future.”
Cho mentioned: “This 12 months is so necessary as we’re main into Tokyo 2020 and after successful a silver final time I believe it is time we had a male world champion, which I completely imagine will likely be achieved in Manchester.”
Britain’s finest efficiency at a Worlds got here on the final version two years in the past when the squad claimed 5 honours in South Korea.
Along with Jones, Walken, Muhammad and Cho, others hoping to assist Britain to a document haul embrace earlier medallists Damon Sansum and Bradly Sinden and rising star Lauren Williams.
EVENT SCHEDULE – with GB fighters:
Wednesday 15 Could:
- Preliminary spherical to semi-finals for ladies’s -46kg (Jordyn Smith), ladies’s -73kg (Rebecca McGowan), males’s -58kg (Hassan Haider).
Thursday 16 Could:
- Preliminary spherical to semi-finals for +73kg (Bianca Walkden), males’s -54kg (Mason Yarrow) and males’s -68kg (Bradly Sinden).
- Finals for ladies’s -46kg, ladies’s -73kg, males’s -58kg.
Friday 17 Could:
- Preliminary spherical to semi-finals for ladies’s -49kg (Maddison Moore), ladies’s -57kg (Jade Jones) and males’s -74kg (Christian McNeish).
- Finals for +73kg, males’s -54kg and males’s -68kg.
Saturday 18 Could:
- Finals for ladies’s -49kg, ladies’s -57kg and males’s -74kg.
- Preliminary spherical to semi-finals for ladies’s -53kg (Aaliyah Powell), ladies’s -67kg (Lauren Williams), males’s -63kg (Josh Calland), males’s -80kg (Damon Sansum).
Sunday 19 Could:
- Preliminary spherical to finals ladies’s -62kg, males’s -87kg (Lutalo Muhammad) and males’s +87kg (Mahama Cho).
- Finals for ladies’s -53kg, ladies’s -67kg, males’s -63kg, males’s -80kg.